Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog has a medium size lump on his left side just below his

Customer Question

my dog has a medium size lump on his left side just below his front leg on the rib cage. Now I am noticing that side is distended. I am really worried. He is only 5
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you. Is the lump attached to the ribs or is it movable over the ribs?Does it seem painful to the touch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It feels attached but I know that it is not a fatty tumor. I can't pull it away from the ribs (I rescue golden retrievers and have seen a lot) No it is not painful as I can rub it and he doesn't wince at all.

Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply. I would definitely have him examined by your veterinarian to better evaluate this. A chest xray would be a good idea to see if there is any bone/rib involvement. If the mass in not too hard, a fine needle aspirate may be a good next step to see if it warrants a biopsy or excision.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.
Does that help. Do you have anything else I can address in regards ***** ***** today?