Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Candy, We have just spent the weekend at the Oregon

Customer Question

Hello Candy,
We have just spent the weekend at the Oregon coast with our two year old Cocker Spaniel. Yesterday she started to shiver. It was windy so we though that was the cause. She was just chilled. Today she continued to shiver but not as bad. She looks like she is having trouble getting comfortable when she is laying down. She seems to be hiding under the table or goes to her crate. This is strange as she is always out with the family in what ever room we are in. She has not touched her food today. She drinks a little water but then vomits. She is very lethargic . She spent a little time walking on the beach with my Wife. She did lap at the sea water. We do not think she ate anything on the beach. She did get into our Son's pepperoni meat sticks on Friday. One last thing, she had a cortisone shot early this week to control a skin issue that our vet thinks was from her mostly chicken diet. She has now been on a beef mix diet. I know it is all vague but what do you think could be wrong. Thanks You !!!!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am sorry to hear that Your girl is having some trouble. I would be happy to help. There are a few possible things going on here. If she has had a recent change in diet this can cause digestive upset including vomiting and loss of appetite. The pepperoni sticks can also cause some gastritis and even pancreatitis. Large amounts of salt water can cause electrolyte imbalances. I would with hold all food and water for 12-24 hours. You can offer her a few ice cubes every few hours to help with hydration. Pepcid AC can be helpful to settle the stomach. This is dosed at 0.25mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours.After the fast I would offer a bland diet of boiled beef and white rice in small meals though out the day.If she continues to vomit after the fast, her gums are pale or white in color, she will not get up if promoted or she declines in any way then I would have her seen by your vet. I would also check her body temp. Normal is 100.5- 102.5 anything under 100 or over 103.5 would also warrant an immediate visit. If she does not perk up with in the next 24 hours then I would have her seen by your vet. I hope this helps and she feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.