Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My cocker spaniel is 12 pushing 13. She was diagnosed with

Customer Question

My cocker spaniel is 12 pushing 13. She was diagnosed with pneumonia right side. She has gone from 54# ***** 42#. ( I know lg cocker), but very healthy up until this episode. She had a chest x-ray, and was given an antibiotic injection. Also given famotidine tab. 1 tab B.I.D. until gone. Also, Fortiflora on food daily. Problem is that she does not eat, so I cannot sprinkle this on her food, but she does drink, so she is hydrated. I have been giving her Beef baby food by syringe, as often as I can. I have to bodily get her out bed to go pee. She does poo, but it is yellow and runny. This morning she vomited yellow muscus as she did last evening. I have had her since she was 9 weeks old. The Vet wanted to do an ultrasound this week because on the chest x-ray they stated that they may have seen a mass on her spleen. I did not see this x-ray, but on my return visit I want to view it. I am at wits end. My last Cocker lived to be 18 yrs. old. Oh, yes her gums (Hannah) are dark with pink splotching here and there. Very lethargic, but her breathing rate is not bad. Thanking you in advance. Pam
Category: Dog
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue. How does your vet know this is pneumonia and not something cancerous in the lungs? This sounds like more than just pneumonia. I would do the ultrasound, and then I would consider doing a bronchoalveolar lavage procedure to establish a definitive diagnosis. I assume she is on oral antibiotics, not just an antibiotic injection, right? She needs to be on a big-gun broad spectrum antibiotic like Baytril or Clavamox. It is pretty extreme for a cocker to live to 18... I would say the average from what we see is 11-14. I would discuss these things with your vet and go from there. Best of luck, and feel free to keep me updated as you get more test results! I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.