Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My 1-1/2 yr old lab mix has had small amount of bright red

Customer Question

My 1-1/2 yr old lab mix has had small amount of bright red blood just at the end of his stool for the past week. We put him on a diet of rice/chicken for the past 3 days. He is doing much better. I have reintroduced his reg kibble up to 2/3's w/ the other 1/3rd rice & chicken over the past 2 days. 1st poop this AM was good. 2nd poop a few hours later had vey small amount of blood again at the very end. He was really straining to get the last of poop out but consistency was normal. He has also been getting 1 Tab of pumpkin 2x/day. Any suggestions? He weighs 50 pounds.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Kona's stool issues. I am happy to help you. You did the right thing doing chicken and rice but it may have not been long enough. I usually do a minimum of 5 to 7 days when having an upset tummy. Also continue adding the tablespoon of pumpkin in with the food twice a day. This will allow his tummy to settle down further. In addition to diet pepto-bismol often times helps irritation in the intestinal tract in dogs. I would do 1 teaspoon per 15 lbs of body weight every 8 hours. So a dog his size can have 3 teaspoons by mouth every 8 hours to help settle everything down. I would do this just for a couple days and continue the bland diet for 5 to 7 days. I know you have done it for 3 days already but I would do it for an additional 5 days. If anything worsens have him seen by your vet to get checked out to make sure nothing more going on and to get some prescription medications to settle everything down. Otherwise the additional days of bland diet and pepto should allow everything to settle down. Make sure he isn't getting into anything outside during this time either and make sure that he isn't getting any treats with the bland diets. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!