Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog is 12 years old 2 day's ago she startet to breath

Customer Question

hello my dog is 12 years old
2 day's ago she startet to breath fast and cough alot i took her to the vet he injected her and checked if her gums were pink or withe but her gum was normal now the coughing is stopped but she is still breathing fast and she seems very tired but still she east will
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bobkat. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. When you went to your vet, was an Xray done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
we took her to vet three days ago
but no xray was done !
and she is shaking a little bit but its hardly noticeable
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If she is still breathing heavy or fast, I would take an Xray of her lungs if this were my own dog.
Shaking can be a sign of pain, or stress, or fever.
Is she any better today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i want to clear out something here i would do any thing for my dog no matter what but i'm living in iraq we don't have good vets or anything that is why i'm seeking for help on the Internet ! and no she is still the same but i'm not sure what to do right now could this be a heart failure because of her age or a low blood suger because she is still play full and eating but she gets tiered fast and breathing heavily ! she is not shaking all the time just wen she gets tiered
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Oh, I see. The website told me you are in "Europe"!
I agree it could be heart failure; that is why I recommended the chest Xray. Getting tired more quickly and breathing heavily is a sign of heart disease. If it is heart disease, she might benefit from a diuretic like furosemide, and other medications such as enalapril and pimobendan. Did the vet you saw mention if she has a heart murmur?
Low blood sugar is not common in dogs. High blood sugar, from diabetes, is seen, and can make a dog very tired, but she would be drinking water excessively if she were diabetic.
This could be her heart, an internal disease (diabetes, Cushing's disease, liver disease, kidney disease) or an infection in her lungs. The treatment would be different depending on the diagnosis. I will do the best I can to help, but I really can't diagnose what her problem is, without being able to see and examine her. As the disclaimer states, this website is for information only; I can't diagnose, treat, or prescribe for her.