Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Mu dog chronically has loose stool. What can I feed him that

Customer Question

Mu dog chronically has loose stool. What can I feed him that will yield firmer stool? I've been adding rice to his food for weeks and it hasn't seemed to help. He checked out okay at recent vet check-up. He is a 10 year old pit bull.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, the expert you asked for is not online. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. To help firm up stool you can add pure canned pumpkin to the diet daily.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
YOu said you had him checked and I hope that included a stool specimen to check for parasites and protazoa.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
given the dogs size I would go with two heaping tablespoons of pure canned pumpkin in the morning and 2 in the evening.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
You may also want to pick out a different food for the dog, one that has more fiber if he is not already on a dietary restriction.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
causes for loose stool can be dietary, irritable bowel syndrome , or colitis. here is more information as to what to look for in diseases, if it is chronic. http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/chronic-diarrhea-in-dogs
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
What I might try also is fasting the dog for 24 hours then start a bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked white rice, then the next day go back to the normal diet. Sometimes the intestines get inflamed and run in a cycle of loose stool from it. I might also try a bland diet brand of dog food. There are many specialty foods now that cater to a sensitive stomach.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
If the vet gave you flagyl then it is important to use them up for a 14 day period , if not you may want to ask them for a prescription.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hills makes a bland food (I /D) as does purina (E/N) you can find them at the larger pet stores or a vet office.