VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

What to do when anus is bloody and protruding but dog keeps

Customer Question

What to do when anus is bloody and protruding but dog keeps licking/irritating it
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 1 year ago.
Hi there!
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with your question about your dog.
I know this is not the think you are going to want to hear most, but this is something that needs to be treated by a vet ASAP. What this sounds like is that part of the rectume has prolapsed, meaning that a very tiny part of the rectal canal has slid out through the anus.
A vet will need to gently guide it back in and use a couple of suture to secure it and make sure that it doesn't come sliding back out again.
If this is not treated, the recum will squeeze the tissue and prevent blood flow to the area until it starts to turn blue, then black. It will also eventually prevent your pup from pooping and can be fatal.
If you want to reply with your zip code, I'd be happy to locate a 24 hour vet in your area where you can take your dog over the weekend.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

VetTechErin