Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Hey my staffy has a dry baldish spot on the side of her back

Customer Question

Hey my staffy has a dry baldish spot on the side of her back and when I touch it her skin jumps... Do you have any idea of what it could be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today! Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible.. Is it just on one side, or both?How big would you estimate that spot to be?Any idea how long it's been there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One sideRoughly 1cm in length and only noticed it today...
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Is it perfectly round?Does it look a little like this: http://www.veterinarymedicalimages.com/dog_disorder_ringworm.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not perfectly round it's not as big as that picture and a lot darker in colour doesn't look much like that picture her fur still kind of covers it it's barely noticeable I just notice when I pat her over the patch her skin will twitch and she gets a little uncomfortable
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.It's hard to say for sure what that spot is. Since it just sort of popped up, and seems sensitive to touch, I can't help but wonder if it's ringworm (which actually isn't a worm at all, it's a fungus!). Some breeds tend to be a little more predisposed to getting it, and bully breeds tend to be at the top of that list.If this were me, I'd give my vet a call when they open on Monday (no need to rush to an emergency vet or anything) and have them take a peek. They may want to do a skin scraping (where they gently scrape off the top layer of skin with a scalpel blade and look at it under the microscope) to see if they can tell what's going on.If it is ringworm, they'll send out an antifungal to get it cleared up.I hope this helps.