VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

My dog has not urinated or pooped in more than 24 hours now, what should I do?

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 1 year ago.
Hi there!
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with your question about your dog.
Sorry it has taken someone so long to get back with you!
Are you seeing any other signs? Is Racks acting normally and eating as per normal? Or does he seem sick?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is eating and acting normal but he keeps squatting down like he has to poop twice today he had a little skinny poop and the day before yesterday he had a dark mucass like small amount of poop but have not seen him urinate
Just to clarify, when he is squatting down to poop, you saw him push a little bit out today?
If he is straining to defecate and not producing much of anything, I think the safest option would be to get him into a vet clinic tonight. Giving him some sweet potato to help bulk the diet and move everything through his system is something we might try if he wasn't even trying to defecate, but the straining has me a little bit concerned.
Straining to defecate can indicate some type of blockage, and these are emergencies. While this may NOT be a blockage, the possibility that it could be is enough that you would want to at least get him checked out ASAP. If this is something like constipation, they'll be able to help soften his stools and get him to defecate, but if it is a blockage, it would require surgery.
Giving him extra bulk in his diet if he has a blockage will just put extra strain on the part of the intestine that is blocked, and this is not something we would want to do.
If you need help locating a 24-hours vet in your area, please feel free to reply back with your zip code, and I'd be happy to look one up for you.
Hi Tracy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Racks. How is everything going?

VetTechErin