Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Oh boy a free question! I am a terrible trainer. And now

Customer Question

Oh boy a free question! I am a terrible trainer. And now I'm really struggling because I'm dealing with Stage 4 Breast Cancer and my boys don't always listen to me. In fact, sometimes they downright ignore me! What can I do?
I read somewhere that when the pack leader is "sick" or "weak", the dog may actually try to make himself pack leader. What do you think of that? Any truth to it?
Thank you,
Jeanne
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
hello and thank you for using this site to help you. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you today
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Dogs sense when there is a lack of consistency, and this can have them act out
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Most dogs do not see humans as pack leaders as a human they know is not a dog. But if the consistency from the human gets lax then they may act out.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
What type of training do you do with them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, pretty much none. I don't have the energy to do much of anything to be honest.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I can understand that, and I am sorry you are going through this. What I would tell you to do is simple training, this can be while you are relaxed in a chair, cooking for yourself, or even in bed.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Basically it is reward for the behavior you ask such as sit, stay , donw, etc.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
It is called clicker training and if you cannot get a clicker then use your voice as a marker, but use only one word such as yes or good, no long sentences, you just want to mark the good behavior with a word then give a treat.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Clicker training/positive method training/ print offhttp://www.clickerlessons.com/ video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Just this little bit of training whenever you feel up to it will show consistency. The reward can be a cheerio, or a hot dog sliver.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Some people withhold the dogs normal feeding, put the bowl on the counter and use that throughout the day as the reward.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Do you think you will be able to do this once or twice a day?