Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My bassett hound threw up and is lethargic. At first he would

Customer Question

my bassett hound threw up and is lethargic. At first he would not drink water but now he drank a little but not near what he will usually drink
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, the expert you asked for is no longer in the dog category. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me please if the dog eats any non food items such as rawhides, bones, toys, greenies, etc?Could the dog have gotten into any garbage or a toxin? Does the dog eat any human food and if so what?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
What color are the dog's gums?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He sometimes gets into things we dont see but i dont think so today he was in kennell with just a blanket and water untill i got home from work and we only feed him puppy chow and dog treats
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gums are pink like normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh he did drink out of the toilet but only a couple of licks before i stopped him
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
thank you , it may be a virus or it could be something he ate.What I would do is fast him for 24 hours then start a bland diet of boiled chicken (no fat, grease, skin) and see how he does with that. The fasting and the bland diet will give his intestinal tract the time it needs to become less inflamed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do that thank you
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
then you can start his normal dog food again. Watch for signs of more vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, sudden lack of appetite as this is a sign of obstruction of the bowel
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
If there is an obstruction then surgery would be needed
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Obstructions come from a dog eating something that is not food.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I am going to direct you to a site that will tell you how to take vital signs such as temperature, capillary refill time, gum color and heart beat . This way you will know if something becomes an emergency
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pooped whn we went outside earlier and that seemed normal no more vomiting and the only noticeable thing is he seems to have no energy
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
okay it could be the vomiting took a lot out of him, make sure he continues to drink water or lick ice cubes. If possible add a little children's pedialyte to the water to keep up the electrolytes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you again you have been a great help
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
you are very welcome.