Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Boston Terrier,age 8, has been diagnosed with renal failure.

Customer Question

My Boston Terrier,age 8, has been diagnosed with renal failure. The vet told me to put him on a renal diet. What is the difference in this diet and the Blue wet and dry food I give him? How about getting an ultrasound of his kidneys first to rule out somethng genetic or a tumor or whatever? Is there any other treatment for him without changing his diet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, I am sorry to hear that your lad's kidneys are struggling.
Now if there is any concern about this reduced kidney function being relate to a tumor or kidney cyst (the main genetic issue we see affecting this organ), then an ultrasound would be the next step here. Especially if your vet thought that his kidneys felt uneven or irregular.
Otherwise, I would note that the main benefits of kidney friendly diets is that they are lower in protein, phosphorus, and sodium. These reductions reduce the work load of the kidneys. Now that said, you are more then welcome to compare the these component levels in the diet your vet has advised with what you are feeding. If they are similar, then you can choose to keep him on his current diet.
Otherwise, you can certainly consider medical management in place of making any diet changes. If you wanted to treat in this manner, you can speak to your vet about the use of phosphate binders (if his kidney disease has been raising that in his blood) and ACE inhibitors (ie Benazepril). Both can help with kidney disease and could be used in place of a diet change. As well, if his kidney disease is severe, then you can also speak to his vet about using subcutaneous fluids at home You can read more about this: @ http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/dog_fluids.aspx
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is