Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My 12 lb 7 yr old Skye terrier(half l'aphsa) diagnosed w/ anemia.

Customer Question

My 12 lb 7 yr old Skye terrier(half l'aphsa) diagnosed w/ anemia. 7 count. Sick for awhile. Transfusion brought up to 20. Can't afford to proceed to ultrasound of abdomin yet. Had X-rays and liver or acid/ base test. One vet said did not think liver due to a "bin" # ***** 1/3 body weight. Has not been wormed due to condition. Also symptoms started w / fipronil. Application sev months ago. My husband sprayed down front porch due to boring bees n did not rinse area or pavers. Kidneys. Ok. Any thoughts. Gums pale again and now beagle / basset has pale gums n lethargic. They do have roam of 12 acres of woods n fish pond etc
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that both of your dogs are having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help.
Any access to toxins such as rat poison?
Has your vet done a full tick panel to test for tick born illnesses?
Has a stool sample been sent to the lab to look for parasites?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check on those 2 concerns. The beagle. "Bagel". Just weird today. He does roam. Fiona very timid. Seldom leaves house. I'm thinking the termite treatment sprayed on porch. Could that precipitate leukemia or angioplasties anemia?
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Fipronil is the active ingredient used in flea and tick prevention such as Frontline so no I do not think that is the cause especially this far out.
There are many things that can cause anemia but it would be very odd for two dogs in the same home to develop a problem unless they were infested with fleas or ticks,were exposed to toxins such as rat poison, daily ingestion of garlic,onions or macadamia nuts. Parasites such as hook worms, tick born illness such as ehrlichiosis,Anaplasmosis or Babesiosis or other blood parasites such as Haemobartonella would also have to be considered if more then one dog in the house is developing anemia.
If a full tick panel and stool test has not been done I would suggest getting that done immediately.All of the above problems are easily treated but can be fatal if not treated. It may also be a good idea to have a blood smear done by the lab as well.
I am going to give you some additional information to review
Anemia and the possible causes
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/anemia-in-dogs/431
http://www.2ndchance.info/anemia.htm
I hope this helps give you some additional options to discuss with your vet.Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.
If you have no additional questions please take a few minutes to provide a rating so that justanswer is notified that your questions have been addressed and I can be compensated for my time.
Candy