Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My cocker spaniel has slept on my bed years then later

Customer Question

My cocker spaniel has slept on my bed for 6 years then later moves to he own bed. In the last 6 months she leaves her bed and sleeps on the hardwood floor...is that common as they age? Lady is 9 years old.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for requesting me. I would be happy to help.
Changing night time behavior could be due to many things.
* Canine cognitive dysfunction -This is similar to dementia in humans and will normally start by causing altered night time behavior such as being awake more often at night, sleeping in different places etc.
* Hypothyroidism. This is a problem we see often in this breed and this will often cause them to be intolerant of heat so they will seek out cooler places such as hardwood floors or tile to sleep on.
* Arthritis. This can make it more difficult for them to get up on places like your bed causing them to find other places to sleep.
This may be nothing at all and is just her new preference, however considering her age it would be best to have a hands on exam by your vet and a full senior blood panel including a thyroid test just to be sure nothing is going on medical wise. A simple senior blood panel will often allow up to catch any disease or endocrine problem early in a senior dog before we even see major symptoms.
I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.
If you have no additional questions please take a few minutes to provide a rating so that justanswer is notified that your questions have been addressed and I can be compensated for my time.
Candy