Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

MY DOG IS NOT EATING AND DRINKING ALOT OF WATER AND PEEING

Customer Question

MY DOG IS NOT EATING AND DRINKING ALOT OF WATER AND PEEING ALOT and his stools were very loose and green in color. Doctor gave him Glucose drip after that his stools are ok but he is not eating anything and is very lazy.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
How long has he been showing these signs?
Did the appetite loss start at the same time as the increased thirst/urination?
Did his vet check any bloods? What were the results?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he lost his appetite after few days. And doctor didn't check his blood.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now if he had an elevated thirst and urination first with the anorexia following; then I would be concerned that we potentially have more then one issue afoot. And while it sounds like the fluids/glucose helped, it also sounds like the problem is still present and ongoing for Brutus.
Now with the increased thirst and urination, we'd need to be wary of organ dysfunction (ie liver, kidneys, heart), high blood calcium levels (which can be caused by some cancers), and metabolic diseases (ie diabetes, Cushing's, Addisons, etc). And I would note that if any of these were allowed to continue unchecked, they could lead to appetite loss or allow a secondary opportunistic infection to do so.
With all these in mind, I have to say that it'd be ideal to have his vet check a blood sample. This would be the most straight forward way to assess his organ function and for the presence of those metabolic concerns. And the sooner we know what is present, the sooner we can target treatment to address that for him.
Otherwise, at the very least, you could consider collecting a urine sample to submit for testing. Urine samples are good non-invasive ways of ruling out quite a few health issues. For example, in practice testing will tell us if the urine has white blood cells (a marker of infection, which is good to rule out since it is so commonly seen secondary to diabetes), the presence of glucose/ketones (markers of diabetes), and whether the specific gravity is as concentrated as it should be (dilute urine can be a sign of kidney issues or metabolic diseases). So, that would be a good non-invasive means of ruling out some of these concerns for him. But again if this has been going on a while and he is now refusing food, we may just want to use bloods to get that quicker answer.
In the meantime though, I do want to outline some supportive care to help try to break his fast and prevent this lack of appetite tapping into his energy levels. First, since underlying nausea often can trigger anorexia (even without vomiting), we can start by treating with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are:
* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg) or
* Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)
This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if he does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease his upset stomach.
Once that is on board, you will want to try and see if you can get him eating (as you have). If he hasn’t been keen to have his favourites, then I would advise also trying to tempt him with a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis, notable Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity.
If you try this but he still refuses to eat, then we do have to consider initiating syringe feeds to get food in. In that case, you may want to try a diet like Hill's A/D from your local vet. This is a critical care diet that is comes as a soft, palatable pate. It is calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise and this could just help get some more calories into him even if we can’t get a huge volume of food in. As well, for syringing food, you can Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. It is actually by the same people who make Ensure, but is formulated to meet out pet's dietary needs. Your vet should be able to order it for you but it is available without a prescription. Otherwise, if you don't have access to these, do note that you can water down canned puppy food for him as this too has more nutrition per bite. This way it would a means of getting food/fluids in, staving off dehydration and nutrition loss, and buying you time to get to the bottom of what is triggering his signs.
Overall, I suspect Brutus's appetite waning is secondary to a more serious internal issue that is increasing his thirst/urination. Therefore, since he sounds to be becoming lethargic and weak, we'd want to start the above supportive care for him to get nutrition in. Otherwise, we'd need his vet to check a urine or (preferably) a blood test at this point to pinpoint which concern is present and address it so that we can get him feeling well enough to start eating properly for you.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Brutus. How is everything going?

nekovet