VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

My chihuahua fox terrier mix has hives and maybe slight fever.

Customer Question

My chihuahua fox terrier mix has hives and maybe slight fever. She is not itchy but for look noticeably uncomfortable. Noticed hives on her head this morning and gave her a 25 mg Benadryl. Now the hives are back but worse and all over body head and face. Is this a possible allergic reaction? Can I give her another Benadryl?
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 1 year ago.
Hi there!
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with your question about your dog.
This certainly does sound like it could be an allergic reaction, as we can see both hives and a slight fever with them. Since the Benadryl worked this morning you can repeat it again tonight to help with the signs.
So long as she is stable now and the Benadryl seems to be working, you don't have to rush her into the emergency clinic tonight. If the Benadryl does not clear it up on its own, though, she may need to see her regular vet during the day to get her started on something a little bit stronger like a steroids, or possibly antibiotics depending on if this is a skin infection or an allergic reaction.
If at any point she starts to show more severe signs like wheezing or difficulties breathing, swelling of the face or tongue, or trouble swallowing, you will want to get her into the emergency clinic ASAP for treatment. These are signs of a more life-threatening allergic reaction.
If you have any questions or concerns, please hit "reply" to get back with me!
Hi Kim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Georgia. How is everything going?

VetTechErin