Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My new little chi hates to go outside

Customer Question

my new little chi hates to go outside
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Customer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.
How long have you had Opie?
Do you know his background?
Have you done any obedience training with him?
Does he have any problem with the leash itself?
Can you describe what is happening when you attempt to take him out on a leash?
Is he eliminating in the house?
Or is he paper trained?
JaCustomer,
I was hoping to get some responses back first. You may even have him outside by now, but I wanted to give you some idea. Often just scooping him up and physically taking him out initially will help. You have to be sure to support his rear legs and his chest when doing so. Stay with him and give him some tasty hot dog slivers while outside so he starts associating it with good things.
Many tiny dogs like this have never been outside and all new experiences are a little fearful for them. You can help by making sure your new little one doesn't have any bad experiences with the outside. Keep other dogs away until you are sure how they will act with each other. Ask people to crouch down rather than lean over your dog. Have them let the dog come to them rather than moving closer to the little one. Little chis can be injured easily, so you want to minimize the chance of her being hurt or scared while trying to socialize her.
You can also create a sod patch inside. You take a large pan like a kitty litter pan or even a baby swimming pool. You create a platform frame with wire on top. Place newspaper or other absorbent material such as wood shavings under the platform and place sod on top of the wire frame. Since it is grass, your dog will go on it. You can remove solids and can spray the urine so it moves through and down into the absorbent material underneath. This lets you use the same piece of sod for a while before needing to replace it. You do need to replace the material under the platform.
This may help your pup get used to the feel of grass as well. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.