Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My yorkie seems to have either back spasms or painful back

Customer Question

My yorkie seems to have either back spasms or painful back & all of a sudden when she barks she "squeals" instead due to the pain. She doesn't seem to have pain when you touch her anywhere though
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.
Has a CT scan, MRI or myelogram been done?
What did your vet diagnose her with?
How are you keeping her inactive?
Are you keeping her on a leash for bathroom breaks?
JaCustomer,
I was hoping to get a response to my information request before answering, but I do want you to have an answer.
It sounds as if she may have injured her back or have a problem with an invertebral disc. An intervertebral disc that has slipped or ruptured up into the spinal canal causes inflammation of the spinal cord, which in severe cases causes paralyses of the rear legs. You can read about this here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx
It generally doesn't hurt when touched but does when a dog moves in certain ways thus it is confusing to owners. Inactivity (crate rest) and leashed trips for elimination along with an anti inflammatory for a week or more can often help the situation. In some case, surgical correction of the disc is necessary.
You can try the inactivity and anti inflammatory meds for a week or two, but I do recommend the imaging such as a myelogram or ct scan be done to determine exactly which disc is at fault and determine the proper treatment plan to fit the injury.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.