Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My dog keeps having "choking spells" which people have told

Customer Question

my dog keeps having "choking spells" which people have told me is like an inward sneeze. I usually blow in his face to get him to swallow. this evening he's had a few spells and after is breathing hard, I also noticed his tongue looked kind of purple, but changed back to pink
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear that Beau is having these episodes. I am happy to help you this evening. Usually these episodes are spasms of the back of the throat area caused by irritation from allergens such as dust or pollen or anything he snorts up can set him off. Usually there is still enough air flowing while they are doing this that they aren't any in any danger but if his color is changing to purple and back againt hen that means that his air flow isn't that great during these episodes. Getting him to calm down is best to get him over these. Talk to him gentle and hold him and rub his neck gently and sometimes blowing in the nose works also. It would be recommended to give him Zytrec (not Zytrec D) by mouth also once daily to help settle down any irritation. The dose is 10 mg per 20 lbs of body weight every 24 hours. They come in 10 mg tablets over the counter. This medication seems to work best. You can use benadryl at a dose of 1 mg per pound by mouth ever 8 hours also to get some relief for him. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Hi Peggy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Beau. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead