Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My 2 year old shihtzu haven't eaten hours. She's not

Customer Question

My 2 year old shihtzu haven't eaten for 24 hours. She's not going to bathroom and her nose is dry. Last night she was moaning she ate dinner then hour after problem started. She doesn't want to walk. Could she be constipated and if so what can I do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that your girl is not feeling well. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help
Does she ever eat things she should not such as small toys, clothing etc?
If you press on her abdomen does she act painful?
Can you press gently on both sides of her spine using your thumb and forefinger, go from the top of the neck all the way down, does she show any signs of pain?
When did she last urinate and pass stool?
Any vomiting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi candy.. she doesn't seem to be in pain when I pressed on her abdomen and along her spine. She ate some boiled chicken mixed with rice. She didn't poop yet or urine. We gave her some apple sauce to see if it will help with her bowels
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She's not moaning anymore thank god but she is very sluggish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No vomit today. She's a bit unresponsive for a dog who is so energetic & playful. Bella has no care in the world today.
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me when she urinated last?
If you touch her gums are they nice and moist/slippery or dry sticky?
Does she ever eat things she should not?
Any chance she got in to anything toxic?
When did she last pass stool?
Is she spayed if not when was her last heat cycle?
Has she had any recent diet changes, new foods treats or human foods
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Since talking to you she did urinate.
she is normally greedy and eats leftovers but nothing toxic.She passed stool yesterday. She is not spayed. The only difference in her diet was today I gave her some rice mixed w chicken which she ate. (Not a lot though)Tried to give her a treat after but she didn't want it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Her gums fell a bit dry.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No new food
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
I am happy to hear that she has urinated and eaten a little.
Unfortunately a lack of appetite and lethargy are very nondescript symptoms and do not point us in one direction or the other as to what may be going on.
This breed is prone to disc injuries which will make them not want to walk, cause lethargy, trouble getting in position to use the bathroom and can cause a loss of appetite due to pain.
Abdominal pain can also cause this.
If she ever eats things she should not such as toys, stuffing etc this can cause a blockage in the intestines causing loss of appetite, vomiting, not passing stool etc.
The fact that her gums are dry is a bit concerning as this indicates dehydration. If she is a bit dehydrated this could be why she is not urinating normally.
If she is not spayed and has been in heat in the last 8 weeks then there is always a concern that she could have a uterine infection and this would require and emergency spay as antibiotics will not fix this type of infection.
Since she has eaten a bit and urinated I would just keep an eye on her for tonight. We do not want to treat for constipation if she went yesterday.
Try offering things like chicken or beef broth to entice her to drink. If she is still off in the morning then I would suggest having her seen by a vet for a hands on exam.
Please keep me posted on how she is doing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you dearly for your time & expertise. Enjoy the rest of your evening.
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome. Please touch base with me tomorrow and let me know how she is doing. Give her a good belly rub from me and tell her I think shih-tzus are the best dogs ever