Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I have a mini dachshund vomited last nigth now has hives

Customer Question

I have a mini dachshund vomited last night now she has broken out with hives. all over ears, body , face. vets not available.  what can i give and amount 12 pounds estimated

Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sir or Madam,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It does sound as if your dog is having an allergic reaction possibly to something she ate or medication if any was given. Dogs can vomit in response to an item they are allergic to as it can cause nausea as well as hives and swelling. There are other causes for vomiting but along with the hives, that seems the likely cause for that.

We normally recommend benadryl at a dosage of 1-2mg per pound every 8 hours to reduce symptoms such as the hives and any itchiness and nausea. If a new food or treat was not introduced, it is going to be harder to avoid the allergen causing the issues. If you can identify the new food, treat, etc avoid it in the future. You might also consider an oatmeal based shampoo to ease any skin irritation. You can read more on this here:
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/skin/food-allergy-in-dogs

If your dog appears to have problems breathing you should have your dog seen immediately.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.