Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

My dog has a red sore spot under his right eye

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your Shih Tzu boy who has a red and raw area of skin under his right eye. There are a number of reasons why this area may have become sore including anything from him scratching the area from irritation, to a bug or bee sting, to even a tooth root abscess.
The first thing to do here is ensure Buddy doesn't irritate this further by scratching at it and rubbing it with his paws. For this, you will likely need to get Buddy an elizabethan collar (e-collar) from your local vet clinic or pet store. You can carefully dab the area with some warm salty water (mix 1 teaspoon salt per cup of warm water). Do this with some very soft cotton wool 2 x daily. You can gently dab the area dry and apply a little neosporin.
You can also try a little Benadryl - the typical dose is 1mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Benadryl in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl .
If the area doesn't improve by Monday morning, you will need to get Buddy to your local vet to have this area checked and assessed. He may need an antibiotic course at that point if this is confirmed to be an area of infection.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I thought I would follow up again quickly to see how your boy's area of inflammed skin under his eye is doing. Hopefully the inflammation and reddness have settled a little. If not - it would definitely be worth getting your local vet to assess there area and prescribe and appropriate antibiotic ointment.
It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.
Kind Regards,
Dr E