Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 6 month old puppy was jumping around my house and slipped

Customer Question

My 6 month old puppy was jumping around my house and slipped on a bored on the floor. He started yelping for a few min than stoped. He is limping and dosnt want to put any eight on his foot. I can stretch his leg out and move his elbow joint up and down and he does not whimper or anything. A little squeezing a pressure dousnt seem to bother much either but he won't walk on it. He cried jumping on the bed but other than that his tail is wagging. Do think it is broken or just sprained worried about my new bird dog.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting. Sorry to hear Loki is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. There is unfortunately no real way you can differentiate between something serious such as a break and something minor such as a strain or sprain without getting your vet involved and perhaps X-rays. What I can say though is that soft tissue injuries such as strains or sprains are very common in the dog due to incidents such as you describe. If this is the case then in my experience many of them will resolve in a couple of days with complete rest combined with an anti-inflammatory drug such as aspirin and then a gradual return to exercise.2. On a short term home remedy basis aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other human over the counter painkillers, and this drug is sometimes prescribed in the dog for soft tissue injuries such as strains or sprains. A typical dose rate would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK3. Of course if your dog does not quickly start to improve or you become further concerned you should then seek immediate hands on veterinary help. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hi Timothy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Loki. How is everything going?