Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Can I give my 7 lb. Chihuahua promethazine ? If not, what can I give her that I

Customer Question

Can I give my 7 lb. Chihuahua promethazine for nausea? If not, what can I give her that I might already have at home?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I ams sorry to hear you are worried about Bella. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
The safest thing to try for vomiting would be Pepcid AC (famotidine). The dose is 1/4th of a 10 mg pill, every 12 hours.
Promethazine could make her drowsy. Do you have the liquid form, or the pills? A 7 pound dog would take 1.5 mg. If you have the 12.5 mg pills, that would be about 1/10th of a pill and it might be hard to cut it accurately to a safe dose.
If you have the liquid promethazine, the dose would be 1 ml, twice daily. If this were my dog, I would use the Pepcid.
Let me know what other questions you have.