Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My daughters 2year old golden just came home from college with

Customer Question

My daughters 2year old golden just came home from college with my daughter. He has a swollen right rear ankle it dosnt seem to bother him very much but he won't put any real wieght on it. When he went out to play with my goldens and my young chessie he came back to the back door with his leg hitched way up after he came in he relaxed it into a normal position. I plan on taking him to our vet Monday. Any advice?
Tony(dad)
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear are worried about Charlie I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
Yes, keeping him quiet is part of the treatment until you can take him to your veterinarian. Try only taking him outside on a leash, no running outdoors off leash. Your Goldens and Chessie should play without him for the weekend.
If he is not putting much weight on it, I would suspect a sprain, or an infection is causing the swelling. A broken bone is also possible, but usually if there is a broken bone he won't walk on it at all.
You could try some aspirin: 1 low dose aspirin per 15 to 20 pounds, every 12 to 24 hours. Give with food, and stop if there is vomiting.
Do not give Advil, Aleve, ibuprofen.
You could try a cool compress as well, to see if that helps with the swelling.
I know it may seem that this does not hurt him, but if it did not hurt, he would walk on it. Try to keep him as quiet as you can until your vet can check to be sure it is not broken, and what medication he needs.
Let me know what else I can answer.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
How is Charlie doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?