Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog started yelling in pain, high pitched and she turns

Customer Question

My dog started yelling in pain, high pitched and she turns to her rectal area. I've taken her out in case it was diahrrea but after a 30 min walk she still hasn't evacuated. She's been yelping intermittently, our vet isn't open yet. Do you have any ideas, she we take her to the emergency clinic. As an aside, she was sprayed by a skunk 2 days ago, we've done the recommended "bath" and our vet also recommended wiping her face with baby wipes with vanilla extract. Thanks for your help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that Mattie is having some trouble this morning.
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.
Does she ever eat things that she should not such as toys, clothing, sticks trash etc?
Do you know when she last passed stool?
Does she seem to be walking normally?
If she has a tail and not a nub like the boxer breed can you feel her tail from the base to the tip do you see/feel any swelling or does she act painful?
Before this started any other abnormal behaviors over the last few days?
Do you see any swelling or wounds to the side of the anus
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for replying! She does not usually eat trash or sticks, however my husband noticed her chewing while they were on a walk yesterday although he didn't see anything in her mouth. She did not finish her breakfast this morning although she did just pass normal stool and my husband didn't see anything in the stool nor did she tell while evacuating. She's walking, sometimes, with her tail between her legs, her hindquarters tucked. She was sprayed by a skunk 2 days ago and was foaming at the mouth and heaving immediately afterward. We bathed her in the recommended "skunk" bath of peroxide, baking soda & dish soap. Then our vet also recommended using baby wipes & vanilla extract to remove the smell from her snout. Is it possible the skunk oil is now passing through the anus and causing pain? She does not seem to have swelling and no pain to the touch.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
If you lift her tail does she show any type of pain?
When you bathed her after the skunk spray did you by any chance wash her outside with the hose?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, we did wash her outside with the hose.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
I am wondering if she is having a problem called cold tail also called limber tail. This is something we see in labs very often and is normally due to swimming for to long or bathing in water that is to cold such as y the hose. This can be very painful and will often cause then to tuck the tail between the legs and cry out in pain.Here is more on this http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/coldtail.html
If she passed stool with no pain then I am not worried that anything is stuck in the rectum and no skunk spray would not travel through the body causing pain in the rectum. The main concern is the lungs with direct skunk spray.
If this is cold/limber tail then it will normally resolve in a few days but some dogs will need pain medication. You could try aspirin at a dose of 5mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours given with food to prevent stomach upset. Your vet will be able to give stronger medication if you take her in.
If you opt to try the aspirin just be sure to let your vet know since it will limit the class of drugs your vet can give for inflammation.
I hope this helps.Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help. If you have no additional questions, please take a few minutes to provide a rating before exiting the site so I am compensated by Justanswer for assisting you.
Candy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow, thanks, ***** ***** heard of that. My husband just called they're in their way back, he said she's had her tail down the whole walk. He suggested we should look under her tail when they get back. He also reminded me that last week she went to a new kennel-free boarding place that had 20 dogs, she had diahrrea for 2 days when she got home but wasn't otherwise sick, so we thought it might be stress. She was then normal until this morning. Thanks so much for this help!
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Yes when she gets back look around the rectum for swelling as this could indicate full, impacted or infected anal glands this can happen if they have diarrhea for a few days. If the glands are full and not emptied then they can rupture.
Also try to lift the tail and see if she shows any signs of pain.
The cold bath and now this behavior really makes me think it is the tail.
Please keep me posted