Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

My dog is a 3.5 lb shorkie and woke up shaking, moving all

Customer Question

My dog is a 3.5 lb shorkie and woke up shaking, moving all over the house, and is now whining.... I'm scared for him.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 3 year old Shorkie boy who has been shaking, restless and whining for the last little while. As you can imagine, there are a quite a number of possible causes for Jack's behavior including anything from a behavioral issue, to early gastroenteritis, to a toxicity or even an internal organ problem.

You are going to have to keep a very close eye on Jack for the next little while. Continue to offer him water, and try to encourage him to drink. You could also try him with a little of his regular food as well. If he is really restless now, or has any breathing issue whatsoever, then you are best to play it safe here and have him checked by your local ER vet.

For now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Hopefully Jack settles in the next 20 - 30 minutes and goes back to sleep. If he can't settle or this problem continues, then please do get him seen by your local ER vet in the next hour or so if you can. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your boy Jack. How is he doing now? Hopefully the shaking and restlessness settled last night. Did you need to take him down to your local ER vet in the end?

It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is everything going?

Pet Doc