Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

My fall has been walking funny almost like she is drunk

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your young Husky Mila who has been walking like she is drunk this evening. This symptom is definitely a concern, and while there are a number of possible causes for this symptom, I would be most concerned about a possible toxicity. Hopefully there isn't anything around your home or yard that Mila could get in to. It would definitely be worth having a quick scout around your yard now to see if there is anything she could potentially have eaten.
Because this symptom could also potentially be caused by a primary brain or internal organ issue, you really need to get Mila down to your local ER vet right now if you can. If you can't get her seen straight then please keep her confined and as quiet as possible. Please also keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):
Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.
Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.
Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dyllon,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mila. How is everything going?

Pet Doc