Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

18lb dog, 1yr old, shih tzu/cocker spaniel mix () has what

Customer Question

18lb dog, 1yr old, shih tzu/cocker spaniel mix (Pud) has what looks to be an insect bite (I saw him jump up, bite at the ground, and limp/whine for a minute or two) his left front paw. I put a baking soda paste and held ice on it but he's still licking and is obviously uncomfortable. What else can I do for him? Are any bites serious enough to go to animal ER?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your young Shih Tzu mix boy Pud who seems to have been bitten by an insect of some sort. The ice may have helped the swelling in the area to decrease. You could also try a little Benadryl to see if this can help to limit the inflammatory reaction. The typical dose is 1mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Benadryl in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl . This would be 18mg for your boy up to twice daily.
If he is really restless and painful now however, you need to get him down to your local ER vet. For now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:
Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.
Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.
Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your boy Pud. How is he doing now? I hope the paw is back to normal by now.
It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pud. How is everything going?

Pet Doc