Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My great dane is in labour, has had 3 pups, she is cleaning

Customer Question

my great dane is in labour, has had 3 pups, she is cleaning them but not nurturing them , then are crying etc but she is walking aoround with out paying them too much attention, perhaps it is becasue she is labour
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
This is not uncommon; especially if she is still in labor (which will be distracting and understandably uncomfortable), is quite young, or its her first labor (since some will be a wee bit clueless about what is happening to them). So, as long as she is cleaning them and removing the sac to prevent them suffocating; then we'd not be overly panicked here. We'd just want to monitor, keep things calm, make sure the puts are dry and warm and make sure mum isn't having any delivery issues. As she settles and after the last pup is passed, she will likely start to give them attention (you can get her over to the nest at that point) and let them feed. But for the moment, we'd not want to be panicked and just keep things calm and provide support as needed.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )