Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I have dog with a very bad cold and we went to the vet and

Customer Question

I have dog with a very bad cold and we went to the vet and she gave her doxy and calvimox but she is so stuffed up and she isn't sleeping is there a decongestant I can give her. I also have her next to a humidifier:
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
Thanks for requesting me. Be sure you are running a NON-medicated humidifier in the room your dog is in. No vicks or other medicine in the humidifier. Sitting in the bathroom is great if it is steamed up to help keep the mucous moving. As for medication, Robitussin DM at a 1/4 teaspoon per 5 pounds can be used to control the symptoms. It should only contain dextromethorphan and Guaifenisen. and should NOT contain pseudoephedrine. Dosages can be obtained at this website. http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/dextromethorphan-robitussin-dm/page1.aspx
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. It is quite late here so I may have retired for the evening when you reply. If so I will reply in the morning. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.