Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog hasn't eaten in 3 days he had osteomylitis of hip . took him to the doc

Customer Question

my dog hasn't eaten in 3 days he had osteomylitis of hip for 2mo. took him to the doctor yesterday he too blood said everything was normal gave him a shot for pain and nausea dog is drinking water butspitting up foamy water some lellow color. the doctor checked his hip and said it was better not swollen but the dog still has a slight limp
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that Sarah is not feeling well. MY name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you today.
If all blood work was good and the medication your vet gave has not helped then I agree the next step would be x rays of both the abdomen and the teeth.
You did the right thing stopping the Rimadyl.One of the main side effects of this drugs is stomach ulcers and the bloody vomit would be a symptom of ulcers. Of course the vomiting blood could also be due to an intestinal blockage if she has eaten something she should not have but I would not risk it and restart the Rimadyl.
One thing you could try at home today is Pepcid AC. If the Rimadyl caused some ulcers this will help them heal. This is dosed at 0.25mg per pound of body weight every 12 hours.
Give the Pepcid wait 30 minutes and then offer some food. You can offer any of the following boiled chicken or hamburger scrambled egg, plain yogurt, white potatoes, white pasta. You can also offer chicken or beef baby food and see if she will eat this.
All of this said if she is not spayed there is a risk that this could be due to a uterine infection and if that should be the case this can become fatal rather quickly so an x ray should be done right away.
The Pet store will carry a product called Dog Sure. This is a liquid diet used for dogs that are not eating. I would offer this in addition to her water.
Probiotics should also be given considering she was on antibiotics for so long. Antibiotics kill off the good gut flora as well as the bad bacteria so this has to be replaced or it interferes with digestion. The Pet store will also carry these or she can have a human dose of Culturelle daily.
I would try the Pepcid and the foods I suggested. If she does not eat by tomorrow I would get her back in before the weekend for more tests. I would hate to see her decline over the weekend resulting in a huge vet bill.
If your vet does not feel that x rays are needed before the weekend I would highly suggest getting a second opinion.
I hope this helps give you some direction and she feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.
If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I brought Sarah to the vet yesterday he said her liver panel was high and he could feel a swelling on her liver. he took xrays and said looks like her liver was pushed up. He put her on iv antibiotics he said they were not harmful to liver and iv fluids. He said he also gave her something IV for nausea. I brought he back today for more iv antibiotics and iv fluids. I also have to go back tomorrow for the same. She is still not eating just water which I put glucose in it. He wants her to go for an ultrasound Monday. She sleeps most of the day. But at times seem very alert. Her behavior is different she usuall is in the house all day and she likes to lay on the patio at night. But now I catch her lying in the dirt under a tree which she never does. I brought her away from the tree and later when I went to check on her she was back under the tree. When in the car usually she stands up at the window but now she stands up for a while the sits and then gets back up again. On thursday he gave her Rimadyl iv and I asked him not to give her any more pain meds, he agreed I feel that whatever was causing her osteomylitis has went to her liver or else it is the Rimadyl and the PO meds she was taking that mase her liver toxic.(I'm only guessing) But I think dogs are very intuitive and knows what is best for them so I think by not eating she is giving her liver a rest and I'm sure her stomach is upset. I plan on giving her milk thistle liquid. Not sure how much to give her since it is for humans. The doctor said to give her the same as the human dose. I tried chicken broth with small pieces of chicken, yougurt, vanilla ice cream, dog bisquits, toast she just turns her head. The doctor said she woun't be hungry while on iv fluids.Today when coming from the doctor I gave her water and she spit it up it was light yellow.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Other then stomach ulcers , liver damage is another common side effect of Rimadyl so if the liver enzymes were good on blood work before the Rimadyl then I would have to suspect that as being the cause those I can not be sure'
She should be on Milk thistle and SAMe for the liver. In our office we use Denamarin which is a combination of the two. If you want to use human supplements the dose would be
Milk thistle- 200mgs per 10lbs of body weight daily
SAMe- 425mgs twice daily
I would also ask your vet about getting her on Pepcid to reduce stomach acid since she is not eating. Try the Dog sure as well to provide needed calories it is much better then just the glucose water
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took Sarah to the vet this morning for her iv hydration and iv antibiotics. After she finished she vomited loads of yellow mucus. Yesterday at 4:30 gave her 2 tablespoons of chicken broth at 9:00 she vomited. I wonder if fresh coconut water would be good to give her since she is only drinking water. what is causing all this mucus when she vomits
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she hasnt eaten since tuesday
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Increased stomach acid due to not eating is the most likely cause of the mucus what we need to find out is why she is not eating and if it is simply due to the liver issues.
If you can get her to take some Dog Sure that would be better then the coconut water. I would also ask your vet about using an antacid like Pepcid to decrease the stomach acid.
How was the osteomylitis diagnosed and was a blood culture done to establish if this is bacterial or fungal in nature?
Here is some good information
http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/saortho/chapter_37/37mast.htm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there was no blood culture culture done. The doctor took xrays and the infection showed up. I brought her to the vet because she was limping. The doctor said he would have to get a culture from her hip and he didnt want her to go through that right now. I have to bring her back tomorrow and he will determine if he wants her to have an ultrasound. I also wondered why no blood culture was done. I live in Barbados and its hard to get products like dog here .I have the milk thistle drops and an anti-acid called Dica but hesitate to give her anything while she is on iv antibiotics. When I see the doctor monday I'll ask him The doctor also mentioned Pepcid but his receptionist sold me this dica. I just offered Sarah some coconut water but he turned away. I heard a dog can go months without food but they need water. Do you think these iv fluids are helping her since she is still vomiting thick mucus. and do you think the doctor should more blood work monday to check if her liver values have gone down before he decides to do the ultrasound. Before he started the iv's he had me feel her liver to show it was swollen. I felt it today and it didnt still feel swollen
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Yes I think the IV fluids are helping to keep her hydrated so I am not to concerned about her not drinking right now. A great way to tell hydration levels is by touching her gums. They should be nice and moist and slippery if they are dry or sticky that indicates dehydration.
The antacids are not going to interfere with the IV antibiotics and she really really needs them since she is not eating.
You know when you go awhile with out eating you can get nauseous? That is due to stomach inflammation and increased acid production due to an empty stomach. With pets this can be a vicious cycle. They do not eat so the stomach acid builds making them nauseous, the nausea makes them not want to eat. The antacid will often break that cycle and get them eating. So I really suggest trying it.
Now while more common in cats dogs can develop a condition called hepatic lipidosis aka fatty liver from not eating so this could be some of what is going on with the liver. Also make sure they have checked for things like pancreatitis. Here is a little info on hepatic lipidosis
http://www.vetinfo.com/fatty-liver-disease-in-dogs.html#b
As for waiting on the blood culture the problem is that osteomylitis can be fungal in nature and in that case antibiotics would not work the other problem is that even if it is bacterial in nature we need to know exactly what bacteria so we are sure they are using an antibiotic that will kill it. Not all antibiotics work on all types of bacteria and if we are using the wrong one she could become septic