Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog is Bernese Mtn Border Collie mix. She's always had

Customer Question

My dog is Bernese Mtn Border Collie mix. She's always had sensitive skin and commercial food makes her break out in a rash (I've tried Science Diet, Blue, Nature's Recipe, etc). So I've been feeding her raw turkey, lentils and raw carrots. I also put a teaspoon of omega powder and olive oil on her food. Her rash is gone, but her hair is getting brittle. Ideas
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting. 1. Well done in sorting out your dog's skin condition, allergic skin conditions { atopy } in the dog are quite often related to dietary factors. 2. There are actually very few drugs or supplements which will effectively affect your dog's hair quality, but one such is thought to long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids. Dog show enthusiasts often add this to their dog's diet to make their dog's coats really shine and look healthy, this can really help3. You can get suitable products from your vet or from a human health food store, however an excellent source is also healthy margarines such as Flora, { But check the label to ensure it is the right sort }. Over the years my clients have often reported very good results by adding the likes of Flora to the dog's diet each day, you most likely have it such a product in the fridge anyway. 4. For a larger dog like yours you could try a couple of tablespoons mixed in with the food each day, as I say I have known this to be very effective in improving the coat of dogs but it may take up to a month before improvement becomes apparent. 5. Of course if things do not improve or you become further concerned you should have your vet check your dog over because like a person problems associated with the skin and hair can sometimes be linked with general ill health I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the coat problem.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.