Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I just had my dog's yearly checkup, and they scaled his

Customer Question

hi, I just had my dog's yearly checkup, and they scaled his teeth and cleaned his ears. He also had blood drawn in the neck area. This morning he seems sore and can't shake his head quickly as he usually does, just kind of slowly. Any idea what this might be due to? He passed his exam with flying colors, totally healthy.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Axel. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Is he getting any pain medication, or ear medication?
If this were my own dog, I would look into his ears with an otoscope, to be sure the ear drums are intact and to check to see if there is any inflammation in the ear canals causing him to do this. When you look into the ears without a special scope, you can only see about 1/3 of the ear canal, so having him checked by your veterinarian might be best.
If this is not related to the ear cleaning, then it might be pain from the scaling, if there was tartar deep under the gums. Were any teeth extracted? It does not sound like it from your description. I usually send pain medication for a few days after a dental cleaning in case the dog's gums are sore afterwards.
If I had done this procedure, as a veterinarian, I would want to check him today if he is doing this with his head. I would call your vet and ask for post-procedure checkup of him and his ears, and ask for pain medication if he is not getting any.
Let me know what else I can answer and how he is doing.