Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

I have a dog that has been diagnosed with cancer and

Customer Question

I have a dog that has been diagnosed with cancer and has had the tumors removed twice. My vet advised me that there was nothing more that we could do other than an oncologist, which we can't afford. He is know chewing at the place and has made it bleed. Is there anything that I can so for him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern. Yes, the vet's assessment about consulting an oncologist is wise.
Even if you can't afford the recommendations of the oncologist, it may still be worthwhile to do the examination with the specialist, just so you know your options.
Otherwise, I would ask the vet about starting some steroids. Why steroids?
Anti-inflammatory benefit. Reducing inflammation may help to reduce the chewing and discomfort present.
Also, maybe ask about trying a topical analgesic spray or something like Dermacool (a lidocaine spray) to desensitize the skin. That may help a bit as well.
Very sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Hope that extra information helps.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?