Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My puppy is trying to cough something up. Like something is

Customer Question

My puppy is trying to cough something up. Like something is caught in his throat. Eating and drinking ok.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that Barkley has you worried. My name is***** would be happy to help I just have a few questions.
Does he get rawhides or bones?
Does he chew on sticks?
Has he been around other dogs at the dog park, kennel, groomer etc?
How old is he?
Has he been fully vaccinated for kennel cough?
When was he last dewormed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes he has been fully vaccinated, and worked. He is 4 1/2 months old. He does not get rawhides he did have a bit of chicken jerkey today. He does not have access to sticks
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay. I saw you were offline when I sent my info request so I took an opportunity to make dinner for my family.
Many dogs are developing serious kidney damage due to some chicken jerky treats. Since they have been unable to recall any brands I would not suggest giving any type of jerky treats.
It is possible that the jerky scratched his throat. If that is the case then giving a little honey or Chamomile tea can help to sooth the throat.
If he is eating then I am not worried that there is anything stuck in his throat.
This can also indicate the beginning of an upper respiratory infection so if the gagging continues he begins coughing, becomes lethargic, or develops any nasal or eye discharge then I would have him seen by your vet.
Other possible causes could be
Allergies
Kennel cough ( not likely unless he has been exposed to other dogs)
Round worm ( this is possible even if he was recently dewormed)
I hope this helps.Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help. If you have no additional questions, please take a few minutes to provide a rating before exiting the site so I am compensated by Justanswer for assisting you.
Candy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** to have stopped. I appreciate your help. I will also discard the jerkey. I was thinking it was only stuff made outside of the U.S.!
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Here is a great article on jerky treats from VIN which is a veterinarian member only website.
http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=32423
If the problem has stopped then I suspect it was either a response to some type of inhaled allergen or the jerky caused a bit of irritation.
Give him a good belly rub from me