Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My dog has a history of mild ear infections. She hit her head

Customer Question

My dog has a history of mild ear infections. She hit her head on the couch while trying to curl up and has been acting strangely ever since. Taking deep breaths, tilting her head, and shaking her head. I'm not sure what's happening or what I can do to help..
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Emma and her ear issue. I am happy to help you this evening. It is possible that she has caused some irritation to her ear after hitting her head. The tilting of her head and shaking her head indicates that something hurts and is irritated on that side of her head. A couple of things you can try tonight to give her some relief is to give her some benadryl at a dose of 1 mg per pound by mouth every 8 hours. The dose in dogs is higher than in humans so it may seem like a lot but again the dose is higher so it will be more than humans may take. Also you can give her aspirin to help with inflammation and irritation. The dose is is 5 mg per pound by mouth every 8 hours. So the benadryl will help with irritation and so will the aspirin. The benadryl will make her a little sleepy too so she can relax and sleep tonight. If she continues to have problems in the morning have her checked out by your vet to make sure she doesn't need any further treatment.
I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time.