Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

This is Ms Evans with Pistoll in my 12 lb A Chihuahua Yorkey

Customer Question

this is Ms Evans with Pistoll in my 12 lb A Chihuahua Yorkey mix. Yesterday I put tick & flea drops "Vet Guard" on him. 30 mins. Later he started having an adverse reaction. Jumping jerking twisting scratching weezing only h slightl. Today's he's no better.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Pisto Pete Evans' situation. Since this adverse reaction started, has he been eating and drinking well? Has he ever had this product on him before? Is he able to walk normally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey ambulate's fine, but I have to force-feed him water and he's not eating at all.
He has had this same medication but under a different name of Vectra 3D. Cause the same symptoms
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm not set up to do live phone calls at this time unfortunately. If you'd like, I can opt out to see if another expert can help in that respect. I can continue by these means. Is he vomiting? Is it possible to have him evaluated by your vet here at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No vomiting
Some better after this last dose ofBenadryl & soapy was but he's wet & sleepy. No intake tho.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No vet but in OKC
100 mi trip.
I have meds D/T my problems. Prednisone, Valium but will take him to OKC if necessary. He's had nothing exp the Benadryl
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's very hyperactive
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Have you thoroughly bathed him well / cleaned the area of application well? If you did, how long ago was this done? Is he breathing with more effort or seeming labored? What dose of beandryl did you give him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Benadryl 12.5 mg. Scrubbed the area on his neck well. It's been 26 hours ago and he's no better
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually I've given him 2 really good complete baths
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
The Benadryl may be making him a little tired as a side effect of it. That is good that you've given him the two really good baths to help get off the flea product. The topical products can cause irritation at the site of application. As far as all that you can do at home for a situation with a topical irritation, bathing the area copiously to remove as much of it as possible and then letting time go by to let the irritation go down is all that can be done there. With two baths being done, it doesn't seem that further bathing would remove any more product. If he was to be breathing with more effort, seizing, being very lethargic, vomiting - these would all be signs to push the need for having him seen by a vet. Could he be one that needs a little more time to let this reaction pass? With him being hyperactive, this doesn't seem to be the most concerning of clinical signs that would push for a 100 mile trip to be evaluated for. If he's still the same, not getting worse, then it would seem reasonable to keep him in a quiet area and let him rest as much as possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive pushed what water he's had with a syringe. The not eating, or drinking plus all the jerking & neurological signs. But I must say he seems some better after this 2 bs bath.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
The product that you used has permethrin in it. This product can definitely cause trembles / shaking / twitching / seizure like activity in cats. Their bodies don't handle it well when compared to dogs. Could his system be overwhelmed by this and be having a similar reaction? In cats when this type of reaction is happening, washing off the area of application then starting a specific muscle relaxer gets them through it. If Pistol isn't improving, then he may need the same medication to help him through this.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pistol Pete Evans. How is everything going?