Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

My 12-year-old Chihuahua, Miles Davis, has been having some

Customer Question

My 12-year-old Chihuahua, Miles Davis, has been having some pretty bad diarrhea. There is some mucus in his stool as well as a little bit of blood. Advice?12-year-old Chihuahua, Miles Davis, has been having some pretty bad diarrhea for approx. 12 hours. There is some mucus in his stool as well as a little bit of blood. He means more to me than ANYTHING. What should I do? What symptoms call for a visit to the Vet in your opinion ? Many, many thanks, *****
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your boy Miles Davis who has developed some bad diarrhea in the last 12 hours or so. As you can imagine, there are a number of reasons why this diarrhea may have started including anything from a food intolerance, to an infectious gastroenteritis (make sure you wash your hands after handling him or cleaning up his diarrhea), to even intestinal worms or a toxicity.
If you are seeing a lot of mucus and fresh blood in the stool, then this tells us this is large bowel diarrhea - most likely 'colitis' inflammation of the colon. As this can commonly occur with an abrupt change in diet - it is most likely that the wet food he had yesterday is to blame.
The key thing in this instance is to ensure Miles stays well hydrated. It sounds like you are doing a great job of encouraging your boy to drink plenty of water, and please continue with this. If he is drinking plenty of water, then this will help to ensure he doesn't become dehydrated with all of this diarrhea he has been having.
For the rest of this evening, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:
Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.
Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.
Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.
If the diarrhea is very watery tomorrow morning, please collect a fresh sample in a container, and take this and Miles along to your vet for a follow up. Here the vet may want to send the poop away for a culture, and he or she can start your boy on some appropriate treatment to firm up this diarrhea.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Miles Davis. How is everything going?

Pet Doc