Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

Early this morning when i let my dog out into the yard

Customer Question

hello, early this morning when i let my dog out into the yard to go to the bathroom, she must have seen a small animal and ran towards it. In the process she yelped and has been avoiding putting pressure on her back leg on the right side. (she lifts it off the ground entirely and uses her other 3 legs). I don't think anything is broken, as she allowed me to massage her entire leg up to her hip all the way down to her toes and she did not pull away or yelp when i did this. I wanted to know if it would be safe to give my dog a bayer just for the next day or two to see if it helps her feel better.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 9 year old Pitbull mix girl Lexie who has pulled up lame suddenly after chasing after something in your back yard. As you can imagine, there are a number of things that could be going on in this leg. If this lameness began 'all of a sudden' as it sounds like it did, then it is most likely to be a ligamentous injury such as a torn cranial (aka anterior) cruciate ligament - in which case surgery may well be necessary. Other options include anything from an incomplete hairline fracture, to just a muscular strain. Hopefully this is just a strained muscle, bur you will need to reassess your girl again first thing tomorrow morning.

Although it is tempting to give human pain medication, please don't as this is generally toxic to dogs. If Lexie is whining in pain and can't settle right now, then you will need to get her along to your local ER vet for a full check up and some canine specific pain relief such as Rimadyl or Metacam. If she has settled and doesn't seem to be painful, then please keep her confined to a small room this evening and let her settle on some very soft bedding. Hopefully she will settle and sleep until the morning. If she needs the toilet in the night, please gently carry her and put her on the leash while she goes to restrict her from bounding around again.

You will then need to reassess her first thing tomorrow morning. If she is just as lame, then I would encourage you to get her along to your local vet when they open tomorrow for a full physical exam. If nothing obvious is found, they may need to check the cruciate ligament with her under sedation and/or take a couple of xrays of the joint in question.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi Melissa,

I thought I would quickly follow up to see how you are getting on with Lexie. Hopefully she has been putting more weight on the leg today?

It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr E