Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My 4 year old doberman suffered an injury to her head while

Customer Question

My 4 year old doberman suffered an injury to her head while playing fetch. She ran into a solid bench at almost full speed and it dented her skull, right above her left eye orbital. She got back up immediately and appeared slightly dazed for 5 seconds, but was still able to follow commands and acted normal right after.
I took her to a local vet ER and right when I got there (15 min after incident), she started to bleed from her left nostril. The vet took her in immediately and took her vitals.
The vet told me she appeared fine, having no unequal pupils and the dent on her head will heal by itself over time. As the vet pressed on her head, it doesn't seem to cause her an discomfort or paint.
I was more concerns about the nosebleed and he said it will "sort itself out."
Now it has been almost 20 hours since the incident and she is still bleed from the same nostril. It is bleeding very slowly and it is not pouring or splattering out. I notice when she is asleep, the blood does not come out and doesn't leak onto the floor or her bed.
I called the vet a few hours ago and they said to give it some more time as long as it's not pouring out. They also recommended me give my dog some Yunnan BaiYao (A chinese herb medication that helps stop bleeding).
She has no change in personality or movements.
What should I do? I need a second opinion.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Hi this is Dr J and I will be glad to help you with this. There are a few things to consider here. First when she hit her head she probably caused a small amount of concussion to her brain but more than likely she is fine from this. She also probably damaged some of her sinus cavity which is why you are getting some bleeding. The thing that I worry about is von willebrands disease giving rise to her continued bleeding. Has your dog ever been tested for VW factor? If she has been spayed and survived that then she is fine. But if she has not been spayed, you should have her tested for that. Because if she has the disease or a high factor then she could continue to bleed. The amount of bleeding you are describing does not sound like an immediate concern but could be if it continues.I hope this helps you. Please let me know if you need anything else as I will be checking my computer again tonight. Most Sincerely, DrJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr J.She has been spayed and normally when she bleeds, for example out of her nails, it normally stops within minutes.How long should I wait, until I should be concerned and what should happen to her from that point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am very surprised, even with her skull dented and possibly fractured, she doesn't seem to feel the pain. Is that normal?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Hi this is Dr J. Ok, that makes me feel better that she has been spayed. Then most likely the bleeding will stop on its own. I would continue to use cold compresses on the area as that will help. Dogs cannot talk to us so when they feel low grade chronic pain they have no way of communicating that. She has to have some pain. Did the ER vet give you anything for her for pain? If not, do you have any Tramadol on hand? Let me know and I will get back with you a little later tonight. Most Sincerely, DrJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see. I thought she would at least yelp and show discomfort. The vet said she didn't need any pain meds because she did not react when he pressed on her skull. I do not have any Tramadol. I think she will be fine and I just hope the bleeding stops soon.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
As long as the bleeding is very slow it shod stop in a couple of days
If it picks up you should take her to the Er
Dogs are just like people. If you or I whacked our head as hard as she did we would be sore
But due to the dogs instinct to cover pain they may not show it. But this does not mean they don't have it
My area is advanced certification in rehab do I treat animals in pain everyday. She will survive yes but she would heal faster if her pain would have been treated. Next time if vet does not offer it ask for it anyway
If I can do anything else for you don't hesitate to let me know as I will be checking my computer Gain tonight
Most sincerely
Dr j