Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

I have 2 cocker spaniels. One 7 months, the other 29 months.

Customer Question

I have 2 cocker spaniels. One 7 months, the other 29 months. I came home and they had gotten into my bottle of lorazepam. 10 pills are missing. They are .05 mg. I don't think the lil one got into them cuz she is hyper. But the older one is sleepy. Idk what to do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in canine health.
If the bigger dog ingested the 10 pills, it needs to be seen asap. The dosage for Lorazapam is .02mg per pound of body weight, which means a 100 pound dog would get .2mgs. the 10 pills equal .5 mgs which is even an overdose for 100 pound dog.
I suggest the dog be seen at the ER Vet asap for treatment. They can do a charcoal lavage and treat accordingly with supportive care, for your dog. I would also have the little one seen also because some medications can have a pardoxial effect causing hyper excitablity. http://dosemypet.com/dosage/for-dogs/ativan/
Please have the dogs seen asap please for safety sake.
Joan