Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Dog got on the counter and ate a bottle of 500 mg cephalexin,

Customer Question

Dog got on the counter and ate a bottle of 500 mg cephalexin, 10-15 pills. What can we do? Is she going to die?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that Rowdy got in to the cephalexin. I would be happy to help.
This is a drug we use in dogs and while this is a very high dose it would not be considered toxic. It can and will likely cause some digestive upset including vomiting and diarrhea.
This is normally self limiting meaning it will resole in a day or two however some dogs will vomit so many times that medication to stop the vomiting and IV fluids to prevent dehydration may be needed.
If she has any vomiting I would fast her for 12 hours and then put her on a bland diet of boiled chicken or hamburger and rice for 3 days.This is easily digested, will allow the stomach to rest and will help with any diarrhea.
If she ate any of the actual bottle itself then this could pose a risk of gastrointestinal blockage or even perforation of the esophagus,stomach or intestines.
If she has vomiting that lasts for more then 24 hours, diarrhea for more then 48 or declines in any way then she should be seen by your vet.
I hope this helps and she does ok Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help. If you have no additional questions, please take a few minutes to provide a rating before exiting the site so I am compensated by Justanswer for assisting you.
Candy