Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

Well I have a female ger shep. *yrs old who has been having

Customer Question

well I have a female ger shep. *yrs old who has been having nose bleeds here lately. took to a vet but did'nt have much money, but they gave her a shot to lower bp and something eles, they also gave me some vitiman k pills to give once a day. my question is what are all the possibilities that could be causing episodes of bleeding? I noticed when she gets excited is when it flares up. she is in heat an has been bred, so as my extreme need for concern

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Hi this is DR J and I would be happy to help you with this. Nose bleeds are called epistaxis and the causes can be many but I will list for you the most common causes. There are three big things I would think of in a German Shepherd. First. I would do bloodwork to rule out a disease affecting the platelets. German Shepherds can get a disease that causes their body to attack their own platelets and this can cause nose bleeds and eventually can cause internal bleeding and death if not treated.They can also get tick borne diseases which can also cause their body to eliminate their platelets. And third cancer or fungal infections in the nasal cavity can cause nosebleeds.
Regardless of the cause there are not any benign causes of nose bleeds in German Shepherds that are 8 years old. So, I do not recommend that she carry any puppies to term as this may kill her. Unfortunately, there is no way to do a cheap work up on this particular problem. To get a diagnosis a very thorough and systematic work up has to be done. It can be done step by step but it needs to be done nonetheless. I hope I have answered your questions. If you have any further questions, feel free to leave them here and I will be more than happy to get back to you as I check my computer at least once daily everyday. Most Sincerely, DrJ
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Hi this is DR J and I am checking back with you to see if you need further help. Most Sincerely, DrJ