Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My yorkies belly is making gurgling noises kinda loud and he

Customer Question

my yorkies belly is making gurgling noises kinda loud and he chewing on his paws and licking everything >>>> I'm not sure if its allergies and i should change his food or if he's sick !! getting little worried any suggestions????
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear that Marco is not feeling well. My name is***** would be happy to help you today.
Can you tell me if he has had any recent changes in his diet, including new foods, treats or human foods?
Does he have a history of allergies?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He doesn't change what he eats but it might be time usually I feed him science diet. Any other suggestions for Yorkies. He hasn't been diagnosed with allergies but I know it's common in Yorkies
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
If he has an empty stomach then this can cause the gurgling. Small dogs are prone to stomach inflammation if the stomach goes empty for to long.Licking everything is often a sign of nausea.
Licking the feet can be a sign of either food or environmental allergies.
For now what we can do is treat for some basic stomach upset and allergies.
Lets start with the upset stomach. Try giving Pepcid AC to settle the stomach the dose of 0.25mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours as needed.
Wait 20-30 minutes after the Pepcid and offer a bland diet of either boiled chicken or hamburger and boiled white rice.
After he eats wait 20 minutes to make sure he does not have any vomiting and then you can try Benadryl for the paw licking if it does not stop after a meal. This is dosed at 1mg per pound of body weight every 12 hours.
Unless we establish that he has a food allergy then the SD food he is on currently should be fine. If you wanted to try a different food I would go with a grain free single novel protein source such as a duck, rabbit or kangaroo based food.
I hope this helps give you some options to try to make him feel better Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help, I will be on until late this evening and all day tomorrow. If you have no additional questions, please take a few minutes to provide a rating before exiting the site so I am compensated by Justanswer for assisting you.
Candy
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gina,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Marco. How is everything going?
Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help. If you have no additional questions, please take a few minutes to provide a rating before exiting the site so I am compensated by Justanswer for assisting you.
Candy
Candy