Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My papillion is losing clumps of hair like crazy in last 24

Customer Question

my papillion is losing clumps of hair like crazy in last 24 hours. bath was yesterday but no new products and have bath once every 2 weeks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.
Any crusty or itchy spots?
Is the hair just falling our randomly, or in circular patterns?
When was the last time he had blood work done at his vet?
Have they done any skin scrapings to see if there's some sort of infection going on?
Any other new behaviors/symptoms/ect?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
N crusty or itchy spots; random/all over - nothing circular, lsat check-up aprox 8mos ago; no skin scrapings or other tests as not been to vet yet. Nose is cold, stool appeared normal this am, appetite and behavior totally normal/fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
*No crusty.... (new keyboard :)) Trying to decide if i should rinse him in case there may be residue from bath yesterday or if that's a bad idea. Shampoo = same for last 4 months
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
{am I supposed to do something to indicate I'm finished? not sure how this works b/c it looks like the
"expert work time" has not started so maybe I'm missing something? ) If this helps, my questions are this (1) Do I rinse my dog or could that make it worse (2) anything else I should do to try to stop (whatever is causing) clumps from falling out? and if so, for how long before I consider whatever I'm trying not working? and if not, (3) should I go immediately to the vet?
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.
If this were me, in the absence of any other symptoms, I'd have the vet take a peek and do a couple things:
1. I'd have them do a skin scraping of the area where he seems to be losing the most hair. If there's a bacterial infection or yeast infection going on, that will show it.
2. I'd also have them test his thyroid. Very often, problems with that little organ can cause all kinds of skin disruptions. Some dogs lose hair. Some develop really greasy hair. Some get groomed and it doesn't grow back.
I would also skip bathing or rinsing him at this point...at least until after the vet takes a peek. If you wash him too often it can dry the skin, which could give the vet false negatives.
I hope this helps.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lori,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Millie. How is everything going?

Lisa