Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Doc, you there?

Customer Question

Hi doc, you there? Hi doc, my 10monyh old pup has been losing her appetite for the last week and just now I saw her scooting her butt on the floor and it has gotten me very worried. I don't see worms around her rectum nor on her poop. She has been farting a lot lately too. Before this, she used to eat 4 cups of food a day, now she barely eats 1 cup daily. I tried changing bowls and food but to no avail. Please help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
First of all, your girl is becoming an adult. If she isn't spayed she may also be coming into heat and that can affect their appetite as the hormones cause a little nausea. Swelling from the heat cycle may also cause some discomfort and they may feel that scooting will help relieve the feeling.
If she is still on puppy food, she may not need the same amounts as before since her growth has slowed down. When you switch to an adult food, the amounts may be lower since her nutritional requirements have changed.
Scooting is often from an anal gland problem which can result from various causes but often from less than firm bowel movements. The anal glands are 2 sacs on either side of the anus at about the 4' o'clock and 8 o'clock positions. This problem can usually be resolved by emptying out the glands. To empty them or express them, you will want to cover the area with a tissue and press your finger on the dog's anal glands with an upward motion. A foul smelling liquid should come out. If nothing comes out and your dog appears to be in pain, you should take her to the Vet. Your vet can do this easily, as he is experienced at it.
Excellent site on anal glands
http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html
If no lump in area It could also be tapeworm infestation. Tapeworms release segments that exit the anus and spread tapeworm eggs into the environment. They can cause severe itching in some dogs. They can usually be seen in the stool and are small about 1/2 inch moving things. If the stool has dried, they look like rice in the stool or stuck in the hair around the anus. However, not all dogs will have visible signs of tapeworms. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms.
The last is allergic condition -- flea allergy being the most common allergy leading to itching around the base of the tail and rectal region. If this is the case, Benadryl at a dosage of 1-2mg per pound every 8 hours should help relieve the itchy feeling and possibly nausea as a result of the reaction, though a little pepcid might help with that as well.
I'd check to see if she is in heat if she hasn't been spayed, then check the anal glands and deworm her. She is at the age where they frequently need deworming again. Benadryl won't hurt her either, but if nothing seems to be help, go ahead and have her seen as you don't want her to progress to the point of not eating at all.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
Hi Sue,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?