Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

My min pin is weezing really bad and is 11 years old uis she

Customer Question

My min pin is weezing really bad and is 11 years old uis she hoing through conjestive heart failer
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Lilbit is wheezing and I understand that you are concerned that she may be going into congestive heart failure.
That would be very difficult to determine without listening to her lungs and heart and taking some radiographs of her chest to look at her heart size and shape and determine if there is edema (fluid) in her lungs.
Wheezing alone would not be enough to determine that she is in heart failure.
In most cases dogs with heart failure have a history of a heart murmur, exercise intolerance, coughing, poor appetite and lethargy.
Wheezing is more often a symptom of airway disease such as bronchitis, a collapsing trachea, inflamed nasal mucosa due to infected tooth roots or a mass.
We don't commonly use aspirin in dogs with heart failure. We use drugs to help the heart function better like Pimobendan, decrease blood pressure and the work the heart has to do like Enalapril, and diuretics to help decrease the fluid accumulating in the lungs.
I think that Lilbit needs to see your family veterinarian for an examination and some tests. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Colleen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lilbit. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara