Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My dog is suddenly very lethargic. I wonder if he ate some

Customer Question

My dog is suddenly very lethargic. I wonder if he ate some poison ivy. I took him to the vet and he took some blood to test. He is just lying on the floor in a place that he has never laid down on before. It's in the line of traffic. Do I just wait for results or what could be ailing him. We adopted him six months ago He is a hound dog with long, long legs and loves to run and be active. Please help. Thank y ou.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Hi this is DR J and I would be happy to help you. Lethargy is unfortunately a very non specific sign of disease but a couple of things in your dogs history bother me. First you have reported that he came to you with a very sensitive stomach and that he vomits some....this is not normal for a healthy dog. Second, now he is very lethargic.....that makes me start thinking of diseases like Addison's disease which can be life threatening. So I would not wait until his bloodwork comes back. I think it would be best for you to take him in to an emergency clinic and have him evaluated. He needs blood work results now. There are obviously many other things that could be wrong but he should be checked out tonight and an ER clinic should be able to get at least a CBC, chem and lytes on him tonight.
Please let me know if you need anything further. Most Sincerely, DRJ
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
HI this is DR J and I checking back with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. Most Sincerely, DRJ