Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

My 4.5 lb. ate a 20mg omeprazole capsule will it hurt her

Customer Question

my 4.5 lb. ate a 20mg omeprazole capsule will it hurt her
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Boo ingested a 20mg omeprazole capsule.
This is a fairly safe proton pump inhibitor used as a stomach acid reducing medication. It is prescribed in dogs, but at much lower dose. The usual dose is 1/4mg to 1/2mg per pound of body weight per day. At 4.5 pounds a usual dose for her would be 1mg to 2.25mg per day, so she ate roughly 10X a normal dose.
Side effects of a high dose can be nausea, loss of appetite, gas, diarrhea and abdominal cramps.
If you want to try to avoid those symptoms and it has been less that 1 &1/2 hours then you can have her seen at an emergency clinic to induce vomiting.
If it's been more than 2 hours, or you want to take a watch and see approach you can wait to see if she has any effects and take her if if she starts feeling poorly.
As a preventative I would start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or chicken), all fats and juices drained off, and 2/3 boiled rice. Give small meals several times a day. Feed the bland diet for several days, then if she remains well start mixing in her regular diet and slowly convert her back.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.